Chiächlini – traditional sweet pastries with bergamot from the Lötschental
Makes about 50 pastries.
- Put eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar, candied lemon peel and salt in a bowl.
- Beat mixture slowly for five minutes, mix in melted butter and bergamot liqueur, and pour in cream and milk slowly.
- Mix in flour and baking powder, ideally sieved. Knead dough well.
- Set aside for at least four hours.
- Roll out to a thickness of 5 mm and cut into rough rectangles of 5 by 10 cm. Make two or three cuts in the middle of each one with a knife.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to 190 degrees and deep-fry rectangles for 10 to 15 seconds on each side until golden brown.
- Place on sheets of kitchen roll to drain and cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Recipe: Laurent Hubert, Hotel Nest- und Bietschhorn, Blatten im Lötschental