Valais sushi with apricots and tomatoes
Rice for sushi
- Rinse rice in clean water to remove impurities.
- Bring 250 ml of water to the boil and add rice.
- Grate horseradish finely (or take some wasabi paste), mix with lemon juice and a pinch of salt and add to cooking water for rice.
- Allow rice to swell for about 45 min. over a low heat. Stir regularly to stop rice sticking.
- Preheat oven to 220° C.
- Place slices of dried meat on a sheet of baking paper and bake in oven for 5 to 10 min. Allow to cool.
- Cut apricots and tomatoes into strips of 3 cm.
- Place a sushi mat or sheet of cling film on a chopping board, and place a sheet of nori on top.
- Spread out some rice to a uniform thickness using a spatula. Leave a strip of about a centimetre at the top (shorter side) of the sheet.
- Arrange apricots, tomatoes and dried meat on rice crosswise, about 3 cm from edge and parallel to strip without rice, and garnish with chopped leaves of lemon balm, basil and sage.
- Moisten edge of nori sheet without rice and roll sushi firmly with the help of the sushi mat or cling film.
- Cut into slices about 3 cm thick and serve.
Recipe: Peter Gschwendtner, Chef at the restaurant Castle, Blitzingen