Chräpflini – traditional sweet pastry from the Goms with dried apricots and walnuts
Makes about 45 pastries.
- Rub flour and butter together until crumbly.
- Mix cold small butter chunks, white wine, Abricotine, cream, eggs and salt, add to flour and blend to form a dough. Do not knead, to prevent dough becoming thick.
- Cover and cool in fridge for an hour.
- For the filling, mix chopped rye bread, red wine, melted butter, diced apricots, chopped nuts, lemon zest and juice, and salt.
- Roll out dough until 2 mm thick, cut into circles of 7 cm diameter.
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling in centre of each pastry, moisten edges with water and fold together. Press edges with fork and prick Chräpflini several times each.
- Heat oil to 180 degrees and fry Chräpflini in batches for approx. 4 minutes.
- Remove Chräpflini with a slotted spoon and dry on kitchen paper.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Recipe: Irma Dütsch, Saas-Fee