Current situation in Valais
Last update: 31.03.2020
Following the press conference given by the Federal Council (Swiss government) on Friday 13 March 2020, new measures have been taken at the national and cantonal level to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Several of these directives have an impact on social life and the tourism scene in Valais:
• Closure of all ski areas;
• Ban on all public or private gatherings;
• Closure of cinemas, theatres, concert halls, discos, bars, night clubs, massage parlours, sports centres, gyms, wellness centres, swimming pools and thermal spas, museums, media libraries, youth centres and other entertainment, cultural and sports venues;
• Closure of all restaurants and other catering establishments – as well as shops and markets with the exception of those selling food or basic necessities.
These measures enter into force with immediate effect and will remain in place until further notice. Details of the measures taken by the Canton of Valais are available here (only in French and German). It is nonetheless recommended, before travelling to an event, activity or public venue, to enquire direct first.
For questions relating to travel from or within Switzerland, you will find recommendations for travellers on the Swiss government website here.
These measures have been taken in order to slow down the spread of the virus, to protect the population as much as possible and to allow health services to deal as a priority with the most serious cases. The safety instructions must be strictly followed, and we encourage people who develop symptoms to stay at home to protect the community as a whole. We are convinced that the measures taken by the government will mitigate significantly the effects of the pandemic, and we eagerly await a return to normal life so that we can once again help you make the most of our region. Until then, we invite you to visit our website, www.visitvalais.ch. We hope that experiencing our beautiful canton in this way will give you a timely fix of Valais – and the appetite for more!
We look forward to welcoming you here soon. In the meantime, take care!
Important questions and answers about COVID-19
Should I cancel my trip to Valais?
• People from high-risk countries and areas will be refused entry into Switzerland. Exceptions are possible, for example for people who live or work in Switzerland. Anyone wishing to enter Switzerland despite the entry ban must prove that one of the exceptional conditions is met. Find more information here. Detailed information can generally be provided by your accommodation provider, the online booking platform you used to book your holiday, your travel company or, where relevant, your travel insurance provider.
Are there restrictions on using public transport in Valais?
• It is recommended to avoid travelling by public transport. Find more information here (only in French, German or Italian).
Are the ski areas closed?
• Yes, the ski areas are closed until 30 April 2020 by decision of the Federal Council (Swiss government).
What preventive measures should I take?
• Wash your hands thoroughly.
• Cough and sneeze into a tissue or the crook of your arm.
• Dispose of used paper tissues in a sealed waste bin.
• Avoid shaking hands
• Stay at home if you have got a high temperature and a cough.
• Always call ahead before going to the doctor’s or the emergency department.
• Keep your distance (for example: protect the elderly by keeping a safe distance, keep your distance from others in a queue, keep your distance at meetings).
• Avoid using public transport.