Ponscheggla, traditional sweet pastry with rye bread, from the Saas valley
Makes about 50 pastries.
- Mix butter, eggs, sugar, wine and schnapps.
- Add flour until mixture has consistency of a firm dough.
- Knead dough until it no longer sticks and set aside for an hour.
- For the filling, mix crumbled rye bread, sugar and jam.
- Add juice and zest of both lemons.
- Roll out dough and cut into small squares of 5 by 5 cm.
- Place a portion of filling on each square, fold together edges and trim into ovals. Take care that ends are well sealed so that filling does not spill out.
- Heat groundnut oil to approx. 180 degrees and fry filled pastries for 3-4 minutes until golden.
Recipe: Family of Martina Zurbriggen, Saas-Almagell