Preparing for mountain bike outings
In Valais, mountain bike trails will lead you into the heart of nature, into wild and unspoilt countryside, a good distance away from towns and villages. For your safety, make sure you bring everything you need so that you are prepared for the unexpected and can enjoy your adventure to the fullest. With our selection of equipment to guarantee a successful outing, nothing will stand in your way of enjoying the great outdoors. And, to ensure peaceful harmony between cyclists and hikers, don’t forget to show respect to others using the paths.
Safety and respect
Safety and respect
Embarking on one of Valais’s numerous routes for a mountain bike tour is an incomparable experience. It is important that you comply with certain rules of good conduct for your own safety, as well as to preserve the surrounding nature and ensure harmony with other users. Treating hikers with respect means that everyone can enjoy the great outdoors in optimal conditions. Don't forget to slow down, alert or say hello to hikers who are also recharging their batteries in Valais’s magical countryside. We all have the right to enjoy our time in the mountains.
Here are six rules from the mountain bike code laid down by the Accident Prevention Office:
- Show respect: greet and thank other people, give way to pedestrians.
- Take precautions: wear a helmet, goggles, gloves and other protective equipment, maintain your bike regularly.
- Stay on the trails: respect trail closures and traffic bans, do not take shortcuts.
- Respect the environment: pay attention to the fauna and flora, close the fences.
- Leave nothing behind you: avoid skidding and do not throw your rubbish into the surroundings.
- Accept your limits: concentrate and anticipate when on the trails, adapt your speed to the situation and your abilities.