Rack of venison with wild berries
Racks of venison
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Season the racks of venison with salt and the game spice blend. Heat the groundnut oil in a pan, and brown the racks of venison on all sides.
- Add the aromatic garnish and then the butter, and place in the oven for about 5 minutes, basting regularly and ensuring that the butter does not burn. Using a thermometer, cook to a core temperature of 35°C for pink meat.
- Remove the meat, place on a rack and allow to stand for at least 15 minutes – on no account in the heat but at room temperature.
- In a small pan, heat the raspberry and blackcurrant liqueur, the raspberry vinegar and the fruit. Reduce by three quarters. Put through a fine strainer and whisk in the butter. If desired, thicken with a little potato flour. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a dash of sherry vinegar so that the sauce is well-balanced and not too sweet.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Top the racks of venison with a little sauce and place in the oven for 4 minutes. Carve 3 ribs from each rack, place a few raw berries on top as decoration, and arrange on the plates.
Recipe: Franck Giovannini, Grand Prix Joseph Favre