- Roughly cube the rye bread and bake in the oven, without adding any fat, until golden brown. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Add the orange slices, sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay and nutmeg to the water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red wine and heat without letting it boil. Pour the liquid over the rye bread, add the raisins. Let it all rest for at least 1 hour.
- Melt a knob of butter in a pan and add the soaked rye bread and raisins without the juice. Heat the mixture, stirring constantly, then place in individual serving bowls.
- Pour over the elderberry cordial (or blackcurrant, if elderberry is not available.
- Top with very cold, thick fresh or whipped cream.
- Serve immediately after preparation.
Recipe: Maria Mounir